Monday, April 20, 2009

Touching the Temple

"During one year, the Primary organization conducted an effort to have the children become better acquainted with the holy temples of God. This frequently entailed a visit to the temple grounds. The laughter of small children, the joy of unfettered youth, and the exuberance of energy displayed by them gladdened the heart of this observer. As a loving teacher guided a boy or girl to the large door of the Salt Lake Temple and the little one reached out and up to touch the temple, I could almost see the Master welcoming the little children to His side and could almost hear His comforting words: 'Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.'"
~President Thomas S. Monson, "Finding Peace"

"Even our young children have been encouraged to visit the temple grounds and touch the temple. President Thomas S. Monson once counseled, 'As we touch the temple, the temple will touch us.'"
~ Elder Gary E. Stevenson, "Sacred Homes, Sacred Temples"


On Saturday, our ward had a Primary Activity at the Fresno, California temple. Each child was able to touch the temple. What a special day!



5 comments:

  1. We were so sad to miss that. The kids wanted to go so bad, but we were out of town for a missionary farewell. We'll have to take them there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your boys will be men who want to "touch the temple" too. When I came out to BYU as an eighteen year old one of my first stops was the Provo temple. I couldn't even go in yet, but I hugged the corner anyway. My family was sealed there when I was five. I have never forgotten the feeling I had as a child seeing my mother and father, my little sister and brother, all in white. Heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin:
    I am the Primary President in West Bridgewater Massachusetts. My newsletter this month is on Elder Stevenson's General Conferance talk. I was looking for a picture of a child touching the temple and came accross these pictures. I was wondering if it would be okay to use the first one.
    Katie Berry
    wbprimarypresident@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely idea.... I just found out last night that our stake is gonna do a 'hug the temple' day in October... everyone join hands around the temple.. not sure how that will work... but will be fun trying.
    Stella

    ReplyDelete